Chinchillas are really fun and lovable as pets. This is why they are really popular as pets. However, it is really important that you learn about the pros and cons of getting a pet Chinchilla as a pet from Chinchilla experts, so that you are fully prepared as you welcome your pet in your life. In this article, we are going to take a look at the different benefits and disadvantages that you face as you get a pet Chinchilla for yourself.
- As Chinchillas have a thick fur coat they are hypoallergenic making them an ideal pet for people that have allergies. As the shedding is minimal, people that are allergic to animal hair can easily live with Chinchillas without triggering their allergies.
- Although it may take some time, your pet Chinchilla will get more friendly with you over time. They will get more social and comfortable around you as well. However, it is really important that you keep the environment around you calm as Chinchillas are quite skittish and can get rattled quite easily.
- In order to improve the quality of life of your pet Chinchilla, it is really important that you get two or more Chinchillas living together. This is going to make them happy as Chinchillas prefers to live in herds. Moreover, if you are not ready to take care of baby Chinchillas, you should never introduce a male and female Chinchilla together as they mate really quickly.
- Chinchillas are quite clean and hygienic when it comes to personal grooming. You will find Chinchillas are really clean animals and have a parasite free coat and are well-groomed all the time. Their stool is also dry and odorless making it really easier for their owner to clean their cage.
- Chinchillas are also great for small houses. There is no need for you to get your pet Chinchilla a really big cage in which they can move around. If you have space issues then all you need to do is make one of the rooms in your house safe for your pet and you can let them explore that room on their own. This way you do not have to worry about the space in your house.
Besides these positive things, here are the disadvantages that you get as you get yourself a pet Chinchilla.
- It is recommended that you avoid getting a pet Chinchilla if you have kids in your house. As Chinchillas are quite skittish they can bite their owners if they are not handled properly. As kids try to interact with their pets all the time, it is really important that you learn about the characteristics of your pet Chinchilla beforehand.
- Chinchillas are considered to be exotic pets which is why you will find that it is quite expensive and difficult to find a credible vet for your pet. Moreover, you will find that their maintenance costs is also really high as you need chew toys, dust bath kits, and other different things for them at regular intervals of time.
- Lastly, Chinchillas can be a little messy as they have the tendency of flicking around their feces outside their cage along with the hay they eat making it difficult for their owners to keep their cages clean.
These are the pros and cons that you need to consider as you choose Chinchilla as your pet.
David Robson is the founder of Complus Alliance. He has been writing about different topics for almost 10 years. He’s main focus is delivering quality insights to a wide array of audience.